Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

On Feb 26, 2009, at 6:13 PM, Robert J Burns wrote:

> HI Maciej,

>>> The scientific method does not say that if we can find suitable
>>> data than we can draw conclusions from it, but if we cannot then
>>> we should simply allow one person in a position of leadership to
>>> make wild speculation about what data might possibly exist if we
>>> had the resources to acquire it.
>>
>> The scientific method says that to dispute a theory (e.g. "summary
>> values are usually poor"), one provides contrary evidence. For
>> example, showing actual selection bias in Philip's study, or doing
>> a study that shows different results, would be examples of the
>> scientific method in action. Contrary evidence is what we use to
>> reject a hypothesis.
>
> Its what the scientific community uses to reject hypothesis. You use
> PR style spin.

That seems like an unwarranted remark. I don't believe I have used "PR
style spin" to reject a hypothesis. I'm not sure what that would even
entail.

>> On the other hand, spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about the
>> quality of Philip's study is not the scientific method. It is not
>> science to say the study is bad without pointing out specific
>> problems or showing contradictory results.
>
> I'm not spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about the quality of
> Philip's study. You're making wild claims about what the study says
> in suggesting that I am. Philip himself disclosed the bias of the
> sample. I don't even care about that so much. Let's use it as
> anecdotal evidence which can still be useful. But let us use
> anecdotal evidence for what it is useful for and not claim it can
> show us what it cannot. For example it cannot show us what
> percentage of pages use summary='' for layout tables or misuse is it
> for non-layout tables.

I don't recall endorsing Philip's study or making any conclusions
about what it claims. Philip says he did not use a high quality method
to pick a random sample. But that does not in itself prove a sample
bias or selection bias, in particular it does not show the results are
non-representative of how summary="" is used. It is well known in
statistics that fairly small samples can lead to statistically
significant conclusions about the population as a whole.

If you'd like to show the results are wrong, you have to show some
evidence, not just cast vague aspersions on the methodology.

Regards,
Maciej