Re: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns

It's got to do even better than just providing text out, though. It's
got to sexpose semantics, whatever structure, cursor in edit fields,
status for buttons, etc., etc., -- all those excellent technologies
already quite well understood in existing W3C technologies.

Which realization raises in my mind the question, "Why? Why Canvas?" I
don't see the benefit, either for a11y or for the web ingeneral.

This rather reminds me of efforts over the last several years to make
PDF "accessible." As we can plainly see in the history of PDF
accessibility, it can indeed be possible to graft existing a11y support,
but to what benefit? PDF can claim to be accessible, but only sometimes
is the user who needs that accessibility better off with a PDF document.

So, I'm of the opinion that solid value needs to be demonstrated for
canvas. I'm not generally inclined to reinvent the wheel, or our
perfectly good existing web technologies just because someone has a cool
idea. Cool ideas need to integrate, else they're not cool at all.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;
		sip:janina@CapitalAccessibility.Com