Re: What's the problem? "Reuse of 1998 XHTML namespace is potentially misleading/wrong"

Le 17 févr. 2009 à 09:31, Larry Masinter a écrit :
> So I'm unclear how those references add any light.

Maybe looking at the implementation landscape helps understand. Having
written the following email, I'm not sure it adds any light either. :)

In abstract counpound languages use a namespace for xhtml fragments
which identify a specification "Modularization of XHTML", which is not
used (?) by some products relying on rendering engine libraries. But
not sure it matters.

[…]

> Both XMPP/Jabber and Atom define which version of which
> specifications they make reference to in their specifications. Both
> could choose to update their references to XHTML5, to XHTML2, or to
> both (selected by some versioning mechanism either endorsed by W3C
> or independently invented by their embedding contexts), or to
> neither (leaving both at XHTML 1.0).

For example on Mac OS X (Maciej will correct me if I'm wrong), The
same [Core Engine: Webkit][1] for rendering XHTML across is used
across applications. So NetNewsWire (atom feed reader) is using Webkit
to render/process the xhtml content of an atom feed.

* Webkit is used in Adobe AIR. There are many feed readers developed
with AIR.
* Presto (Opera) is/was? used in Adobe Creative Suite version 2 at
least, but I don't know if there are processing any atom feed, or
XHTML fragments.
* Gecko is used I guess in Thunderbird for feed reading (David Baron
will correct me) and there are add-ons for RSS feeds in Firefox.

Modularization of XHTML gives a technique to create vocabulary reusing
part of XHTML. This is under the control of XHTML 2 WG will a
different development path of vocabularies.
HTML 5 has a section on [parsing XHTML Fragments][2] and if I
understood look at the namespace.

[1]: http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/Applications%20using%20WebKit
[2]: http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-xhtml-syntax.html#parsing-xhtml-fragments

--