Re: [html5] proposal to add <text> element.

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> I am speaking about conversation messages that imply
> editing - replies. Highly desirable to use WYSIWYG while
> editing of these messages. It is 21st century and we
> still doing plain text messaging on public-*html* mail
> list. Shame on us?
> (Yeah, why do I need to put '*' to mark <strong> spans?)

Why "shame", Andrew ?  ASCII (or, these days, Unicode)
text is readable by everyone, and contains almost no
overheads; what possible benefit do you see in inflicting
the overheads of HTML (or RTF, or any similar "rich text"
encoding) on something as simple and straightforward as
an e-mail message ?   Speaking purely personally, I abhor
both HTML and RTF for e-mail, and find hand-formatted
(72 character or fewer per line) absolutely perfect for
the task in hand.

Philip TAYLOR