Re: What's the problem? "Reuse of 1998 XHTML namespace is potentially misleading/wrong"

On Feb 11, 2009, at 21:47 , Robert J Burns wrote:
> However, HTML5 has introduced namespace collisions all on its own so
> that things like the 'small' element mean two different things
> within the same namespace. In other words a name collision where two
> separate elements share the same name. This is the type of thing a
> namespace should be avoiding or it ceases to have any meaning.

I really don't understand your point? Are you saying that elements
with different semantics with the same fully qualified name are always
bad? So long as they can be distinguished by context, it really
doesn't matter. The only thing it breaks is DTD validation and no one
sane would ever care about that.

What matters is if a v1 implementation cannot do anything useful with
a v2 document (and worse, vice-versa) or if an implementation cannot
usefully distinguish between two incompatible languages sharing the
same language.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/