Re: Proposed amends to <small> element

Ian Hickson wrote:

> I looked up "caveats" on anseers.com and the first definition was:
>
> # Warnings, often written to a potential buyer, to be careful; often
> # offered as a way for the seller or broker to minimize liability for what
> # otherwise might be a deceptive trade practice.

The first definition here is from the "business dictionary" part further
down (are you being selective in your quoting?). The common definition
above:

http://www.answers.com/caveat

# 1
# a. A warning or caution: “A final caveat: Most experts feel that
# clients get unsatisfactory results when they don't specify clearly
# what they want” (Savvy).
# b. A qualification or explanation.

# 2. Law. A formal notice filed by an interested party with a court or
# officer, requesting the postponement of a proceeding until the filer
# is heard.

> ...which seems far more loaded that "disadvantages". In general though I
> think it's pretty safe to say that the small print is disadvantages; after
> all, most people would not hide the advantages in the small print.

Sorry, but that's a gross generalisation, unless are you basing this on
quantitative research you carried out on the content of small print used
around the world?

Caveat: this metal fork should not be inserted into an electrical
socket...is that a disadvantage?

A classic small print "this does not affect your statutory rights"...is
that a disadvantage? Did you want your statutory rights to be affected?

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/