Re: Need differentiator between "no alt text provided" and "no alt text necessary"

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, James Craig wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > The spec already says:
> >
> > # If the src attribute is set and the alt attribute is not
> > #   The image might be a key part of the content, and there is no textual
> > #   equivalent of the image available.
> > #
> > #   [...] the user agent should display some sort of indicator that there
> > #   is an image that is not being rendered [...]
> >
> > ...which seems like a more accurate statement (since we can't know that
> > the author didn't know alternative text, it might just be that the
> > document is non-conforming).
>
> Then the easiest edit might be to change:
>
> "the image might be a key part of the content"
>
> to:
>
> "the image is a key part of the content in a conforming document"
>
> or perhaps to:
>
> "the image is a key part of the content in a conforming document, and
> might be a key part of the content in a non-conforming document"

This is text intended for user agents. How could a user agent distinguish
one case from the other?

I've added a note that says:

   In a conforming document, the absence of the alt attribute indicates
   that the image is a key part of the content but that a textual
   replacement for the image was not available when the image was
   generated.

Does that help?

> I'm more concerned with the first part of #6, now trimmed and quoted
> here:
>
> > > 6. If no caption information can be determined from the previous
> > > steps, user agents MAY assume the image is a key part of the content
> > > lacking a textual equivalent in the document…
>
> This addition and/or the edit listed above ("the image is a key part of
> the content in a conforming document") would appease my concerns.

What does this require? Could you describe a test page that demonstrates
how to test whether a user agent is complying to this requirment or not?

There's no point adding requirements that aren't testable.