Re: head@profile: another dropped attribute

On Feb 5, 2009, at 7:01 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Sam Ruby 2009-02-05 12.41:
>> Rob Sayre wrote:
>>> On 2/5/09 1:18 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> There is a pleasing trend in this mailing list towards civility
>> and people taking the time to describe other's point of view in
>> a fair and balanced way before proceeding to describe an
>> alternate point of view.
>> Use of the term 'ideological' here bucks this trend.
>> An alternate way to describe the development of HTML 5 to date
>> is that it has been developed starting from zero, includes only
>> features that are deemed necessary to meet presented and
>> accepted use cases, and operates under the rather significant
>> constraint that such a spec, if followed by implementers, won't
>> break the web.
>
> Henri said that <font> is out for ideological reasons. That was a
> claim about the non-WHATWG people, mostly. Then you offered the
> "alternative" description that WHATWG started from zero. That to me
> is simply a confirmation of what Henri said - namely that WHATWG
> represents the non-ideological voice.

I am pretty sure Henri was referring to Ian Hickson's ideology
(specifically strong belief in separating presentation from content)
when he referred to <font> being out for ideological reasons. I don't
think he meant to insult non-WHATWG participants, and I do not think
Ian would be greatly offended by Henri's remark either.

Regards,
Maciej