Re: Rendering: align=right and 'margin-right:auto'

On Wednesday 2009-02-04 14:00 +0100, Simon Pieters wrote:

> Consider
>
> http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3C!doctype%20html%3E%0D%0A%3Cdiv%20align%3Dright%3E%0D%0A%20%3Ctable%20border%20style%3Dmargin-right%3Aauto%3E%3Ctd%3Ex
>
> Should the table be left-aligned or centered?
>
> AFAICT the spec says it should be centered.

Which spec?  If HTML5 says something here I think it should say
left-aligned.  The margin-right:auto on the table should override
the align=right on its parent.  (Do you see the same results if you
specify align=center on a grandparent, etc.?)

(I could see an argument for left aligned, but I don't think
centering is a reasonable compromise between one thing saying left
and the other saying right... what would you then do as a compromise
between center and left, etc.?)

align=right and align=left on DIV and similar can't be expressed
using existing CSS, although they could be expressed using the
property described here (which could be called 'block-align' if it
were added):
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Nov/0071.html

Gecko implements this proposal as extra values on 'text-align',
though.

-David