[html-author] Updates to the HTML Reference

Lachlan Hunt  at Tue, 03 Feb 2009 02:52:06 +0100:
> Murray Maloney wrote:
>
> > I propose that the title of the document should revert to "A Web
> > Developers' Guide to HTML 5"
>
> That title was too long, so I'd rather not.  I may consider using HTML 5
> Guide, though not until we are at least sure we have a common
> understanding of the two types of documents.

According to Wikipedia[1] a reference is:

"... a previously published written work within academic publishing
which has been used as a source for theory or claims referred to which
are used in the text."

It sounds as if the old title would attract another audience than the
new one will be doing. If by "reference" you want signal that it is very
complete, then you could use something like "complete guide". Another
option is to combine "developer" and "reference" - so that the audience
understands that it is a reference /for them/. E.g. "Web developers'
HTML 5 reference" (though I personally prefer "authors'" instead of
"developers'"). Or "HTML 5 authoring reference".

I have no problem suggesting titles, if need be ...

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference#Academic_writing
--
leif halvard silli