Re: Rendering feedback

On Monday 2009-02-02 21:53 +0100, Simon Pieters wrote:
> The rendering section should say that when scripting is enabled,
> noscript should be hidden (we have bugs saying that this should be
> with !important -- some pages want to have <noscript> be
> display:block when scripting is disabled but leave it hidden when
> it's enabled, or something).

It should probably also define what else is hidden.  I wrote a good
bit about "hidden content" in
http://dbaron.org/cdi-req/#restricted-subtrees .  (Maybe that's
defined elsewhere, though.)

>   dl > dd { margin-left: 40px; } /* margin-right, for rtl elements */
>
> <dd>s not in a <dl> should still be indented.

For what it's worth, in Quirks mode, Gecko does something quite a
bit more complicated involving a forced line break and indentation,
and makes such dd's display:inline.

>   When a Document is in quirks mode, margins on HTML elements that
>   collapse with the top or bottom of the initial containing block are
>   expected to be collapsed to zero.
>
> I think this should be more general, sort of like:
>
>   :first-child { margin-top:0 }
>   :last-child { margin-bottom:0 }
>
> ...but I haven't looked into whether that matches reality or not.

It doesn't.  The reality can't be expressed in CSS, although Gecko
attempts to and has some Web-incompatibility as a result.

>   body { color: black; background: white; }
>
> This should be on html:root instead (if at all).

No, since then any author rules setting background on body would not
get propagatated to the canvas per the rules in
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/colors.html#background .

>   abbr[title], acronym[title] { text-decoration: dotted underline; }
>
> This should be border-bottom: thin dotted.

I think dotted text-decorations (once supported) would be superior
to bottom borders here.

-David