Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> > > Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, 2009-08-26 02:28 +0000:
> > > It means defining what the element represents.
> >
> > "represents" in the HTML5 spec when used about elements and attributes
> > is a term that just refers to the media-independent rendering of those
> > features, which as far as I can tell doesn't apply to <a name>. Did
> > you have something else in mind?
>
> With all due respect, Ian: I think it's obvious that Mike has in mind,
> and it's not what you said.

If you think it's obvious, maybe you would be willing to explain it to me?

The only interpretation that I can see is that Mike means non-normative
text giving an introduction to the feature to help authors use it. That,
however, is not a definition, and would in any case be inappropriate for
obsolete features such as those being discussed here.