definitions [was: closing on 2009-09-03]

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> "represents" in the HTML5 spec when used about elements and attributes
>>> is a term that just refers to the media-independent rendering of those
>>> features, which as far as I can tell doesn't apply to <a name>. Did
>>> you have something else in mind?
>> With all due respect, Ian: I think it's obvious that Mike has in mind,
>> and it's not what you said.
>
> If you think it's obvious, maybe you would be willing to explain it to me?
>
> The only interpretation that I can see is that Mike means non-normative
> text giving an introduction to the feature to help authors use it. That,
> however, is not a definition, and would in any case be inappropriate for
> obsolete features such as those being discussed here.

I might be wrong, and if so, I'll blow what little credibility I have
and derail this discussion, but given that the discussion doesn't seem
to be moving forward very fast, I guess it is worth the risk.

It seems to me that in HTMLT5 there is a difference between <b> and
<strong> that is both normative and can not be described in terms of
browser implementations.

- Sam Ruby