Re: several messages

Thomas Broyer wrote:

> Some things I haven't read (though I might have just missed them):
>  * xsl:output has a version attribute, which could very well take the value "5"
>  * xsl:output method attribute allows QName, so there might be a
> special QName meaning "html5"

Particular XSLT implementations can decide to use those features to
provide HTML5 conformant output.

>  * none of these require a change to XSLT

The reason for introducing "XSLT-compat" is to allow existing XSLT 1.0 &
2.0 implementations to generate HTML5 content. HTML5 is accommodating
existing implementation in a similar way it accommodates existing
browsers -- they will be able to process HTML5 content, at least element
they know from HTML5.

> Also, XSLT cannot generate DOCTYPE internal subsets or entity
> references, and people have accomodated; using the xsl:text trick if
> they really needed those things, so why couldn't they also accomodate
> using the xsl:text trick to output the HTML5 doctype?

Please read archives, this was discussed several times.

> I'd be in favour of having nothing special in the HTML5 spec apart
> from a recommandation about using version="5" or a QName for use
> within xsl:output/@method.

This could be done, but this would require change in existing
implementations which IMHO is not aligned with charter of this WG.

			Jirka