Re: several messages

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> I tend to agree. But software can be updated on its own; XSLT is a
>> standard and we don't know if it will be updated. So in the meantime
>> it does make sense to make an effort to address the issue. We can
>> always change it later.
>
> Have those people who've been pushing for this change actually
> approached the appropriate WG about updating XSLT to allow <!DOCTYPE
> htmL> to be emitted?  If not, might I suggest that you actually do so,
> so that we really don't need to keep "XSLT-compat" in the long term?

I'm member of W3C XSL WG. If you will follow some previous discussion
about this topic

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Jul/0078.html

you will see that there are actually two issues to solve.

One is to allow producing subset of HTML5 using XSLT 1.0, which is
frozen and widely deployed spec.

The second issue, is development of completely new output method for
HTML5 in future versions of XSLT. This output method has to accommodate
changes made in HTML5 from HTML4 including for example:

- extended list of void elements
- change of namespace, HTML4 documents were not in namespace
- proper serialization of vocabularies that have or will have special
standing in HTML5, like MathML or SVG
- ...

Once are those issues related to serialization of HTML5 somehow frozen
or at least enough stable I'm going to propose new output method in XSL
WG. However I'm not sure if such method will find its way into real W3C
Recommendation unless HTML5 is at least Proposed Recommendation.

So, if 2015 XSLT 3.0 will be commonly used with output method
appropriate for HTML5 we can drop "XSLT-compat", until then we should
keep it.

					Jirka