Re: ISSUE-54 (html5-doctype-vs-xslt): XSLT 1.0 can not generate HTML5 documents [HTML 5 spec]

Le 3 sept. 2008 à 13:10, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> I'd love to see hard numbers here, but again my gut feeling is that
>> as a
>> UA implementor I can't make that sort of change.
>
> IIRC, my research found 50% of pages had no DOCTYPE.

ok that's a good start. So we are talking about 50% of Web pages
(which is indeed a lot)

[quirks mode][1]:

* ie box model
* vertical alignment (most of the time explicit fixed in CSS)
* font styles in tables
* …

I wonder

1. how many of these 50% pages have CSS instructions
2. and, in the CSS subset, how many are dependent on the quirks mode.
    aka have the css properties which create differences
    AND have no instructions fixing these properties.

I also wonder if people will really protest if their site change to
strict mode (given that the CSS Web designers, who are most likely to
complain about differences, are usually using standard mode.) Hmm
difficult to test.

[1]: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Mozilla_Quirks_Mode_Behavior by
David Baron and Boris Zbarsky.

--