Re: <q>

Sam Kuper wrote:

> This sounds essentially reasonable to me. How about having HTML 5
> specify the default CSS quotes property for every language in RFC 3066
> (or, alternatively, should another RFC (or suchlike) be started for the
> purpose of specifying these), so that HTML 5 can reference it)?

This seems to me a Labour of Hercules, and also A Bad Thing. Even a
Very Bad Thing.

In french, this is defined - and well defined trust me on that please -
in the famous "Lexique des règles typographiques en usage à l'Imprimerie
Nationale", ISBN 2743304820 [1].

Why would I need a computer-related spec to define what has been living
in the print world for ages? It's not HTML's task to do that, IMHO.
It's our national standard body's duty that_already_ has specs for
printed material to include the unicodes for the chars they're listing,
period.

[1]
http://www.amazon.fr/Lexique-r%C3%A8gles-typographiques-lImprimerie-Nationale/dp/2743304820/

</Daniel>