Re: Parsing: Trailing garbage in doctype FPI (was: Re: Doctype usage data)

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Simon Pieters wrote:

>   * images in table cells and expected the cell to shrink-wrap the
> image.
>
> I think it would be nice if CSS was changed so that at least the latter
> Just Worked like in Quirks mode and Almost Standards mode, and then
> Almost Standards mode and Standards mode can be merged into a single
> mode. Doing so would probably break some Standards mode pages that
> expect boxes to not shrink-wrap, but on the long term I think it would
> be worth it. (Also note that as implemented, the shrink-wrap quirk
> doesn't just apply to cells, it applies to normal blocks too.)

I really don't think we should change this. Authors would get pitchforks
and hunt us down if we changed this again. Let's just keep things stable
going forward. The standards mode behaviour really is the better
typographic solution, and the need for the shrinkwrapping behaviour should
be going away over time. I don't think this is where we should be burning
goodwill.