Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> That's not what I am arguing. I'm arguing that we need to face the fact
> that there are people out there, who don't share your goals or mine. We
> don't get to adjust how they react to a given stimulus (such as a
> validator message). We do get to adjust what stimuli we send.
>
> We should set up the stimuli to maximize accessibility *given*
> conflicting goals of people *out there*. We shouldn't focus on setting
> up the stimuli to be righteous-looking.

One of the precious few times that I've been tempted to +1 a comment on this list...

Does anyone know of any studies that anyone has ever bothered doing on authors'

For that matter, are there any studies or surveys that indicate what fraction of
authors even use validators?  Are people concerned about the effects of
decisions regarding @alt on authors who do not use validators?  If so, is there
any indication (again, from studies or surveys) as to how the @alt syntactic
requirements come to affect such authors?  It may be that modifying the
information that flows along these channels is just as important as anything the
validator does, if not more.

It seems to me that these are the concerns we should be worrying about if we
really want to improve accessibility as opposed to wanting to create the image
of improving accessibility.  Of course this approach is much harder than the
"create an image" approach, and more likely to fail to achieve its goals:
getting people to change behavior en masse is much harder than putting up fliers
exhorting them to change behavior.

So my question is whether it's possible to get together the resources to answer
some of these questions by applying something resembling the scientific method
as opposed to the Aristotelian armchair reasoning that's mostly been used so
far.  And when I say "get together the resources", I'm not implying that any one
person or group of people is somehow magically responsible for making it happen.
  Anyone who seriously cares about accessibility and feels that alternate text
for images is critical to accessibility (which I think it is) is a stakeholder
in getting some hard data here.  The hard part is coordinating them and finding
the resources to actually do some studies.

-Boris

-Boris