Re: License discussions in progress at W3M

Chris Lilley wrote:
> W3M has been discussing the request to publish authoring guidelines
> under a more permissive license than the W3C document license.

As the current editor of the authoring guide, I'd just like to say
thanks for looking into the issue.

> Several options are under discussion, including:
>
> - that the Document license already allows this under fair use

IANAL, but I don't believe the current document licence is compatible
with the GPL or the GFDL, since it doesn't allow modifications.

> - that a different license is needed
> - that the Document license should be updated W3C-wide

I would be happy with either of those, though my personal preference
would be to use the MIT licence, or even a very simple licence like that
used for the WHATWG copy of the HTML5 spec, which simply states:

   "You are granted a license to use, reproduce and create derivative
    works of this document."

> - that this is a copyright and not a licensing issue.

I do not understand that statement.

> Discussion continues; this is just to let you know that the request
> has been seen and is being discussed.

Thank you.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software