SVG Semantics Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:12:34 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:
> HTML has the feature of two serializations: a classic serialization that
> is error-tolerant, and an XML-based serialization that has draconian
> error handling. These have different costs and benefits, ultimately it
> is a benefit to HTML authors that they have a choice. I think SVG
> deserves to have this feature as well, there's no reason it should fall
> short of HTML in this regard. Supporting SVG inline in text/html seems
> like a good opportunity to add this feature to SVG.

Perhaps. The cans of worms are different though. HTML elements are
basically content - in principle, the text tree is reasonably useful
(unless you have images). SVG is about images - having parts of an image
not render can drastically alter the semantics ofthe image.

SVG has a mechanism for handling broken subtrees, which involves showing
that it is broken.

Somewhere there might be a sweet spot that we can find with the SVG group.
But it's not ust a case of "they should do as we do". (And I agree that
the luxury of having the choice of a strict syntax is nice, and would hate
to see that baby tossed out with any bathwater we may find in the
requirement to be intolerant).

cheers

Chaals