Re: UA support for Content-Disposition header (filename parameter)

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> The problem I raised *is* an interoperability problem that has
>> affected people in the real world. So it escapes me why you feel HTML5
>> should be silent on it.
>
> Because it's not an interoperability issue associated directly with
> HTML, nor any of the features defined in the specification.

Oh really?

I'd like to understand how you decide what's in scope and what isn't.

Returning content for "Save As" is UA functionality that's been in use
for years in all browsers. For non-Latin1 characters it doesn't work
with IE though. I thought one of the principles of the WHATWG was to
help documenting and eliminating these kinds of interop problems?

> There are many other specifications that browsers are required to
> support, but which are not individually listed in HTML5.  The only

Interesting. Maybe it should list those, then.

> reason you have presented to support its inclusion is that there are
> currently interoperability issues with it, but that is not a problem
> HTML5 should try to solve for every single spec.

BR, Julian