Re: Translation control in HTML5

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > This would completely break syntax of lang attribute values which should
> > > be following BCP 47 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4646.txt)
> >
> > We define lang, we can easily define it as being something akin to:
> >
> >    [only] <bcp-47-code>
>
> And what is point in doing it differently from dozens of other markup
> languages?

The main benefit of this proposal is that it would automatically work in
already shipped tools. It also avoids adding yet another global attribute,
especially one for a relatively minor use case, with an unproven track
record (i.e. we don't know if authors will use it anyway).

> Moreover, having separate lang and translate attributes will be much
> more friendly to CSS selectors.

That's certainly an important advantage of keeping these in separate
attributes, yes. We have to balance all the various pros and cons in
coming up with a solution (assuming we want to address this use case).