Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML

We talked about this in our 24 July teleconference;
sorry for the delay..

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 20:52 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Al Gilman wrote:
> >
> > I see by your Tracker that you have an ISSUE-35 on "aria processing."
> > http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/35
>
> There are three issues blocking the adoption of ARIA proposals in HTML5:
>
>  1. ARIA isn't being developed in the open. It is unlikely that we would
>     adopt wholesale anything that wasn't developed in a completely open
>     manner, with open public participation and a completely public
>     feedback loop. I mentioned this in:
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg-comments/2008AprJun/0004.html

I think we've gotten far enough on the openness point, but
the other two remain... it seems important for ARIA to say more
about how it works with HTML...

>  2. ARIA specifications lack clear normative conformance criteria. I gave
>     a bunch of examples of this in:
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg-comments/2008JanMar/0102.html
>
>  3. ARIA doesn't define how ARIA works in conjunction with existing
>     features in HTML4, HTML5, and other specs. For example, if the HTML5
>     "required" attribute indicates that a form control is required when
>     the ARIA required attributes indicates that it is not. This was the
>     second problem listed in:
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg-comments/2008JanMar/0102.html
>     ...and was also mentioned in this e-mail which was cc'ed to you:
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0342.html
>
> Unless and until these three issues are addressed, I don't see any way in
> which the ARIA proposals can be adopted in HTML5.

Ian later wrote...

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 23:35 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Defining how it works with HTML4 would probably be a reasonable level
> at
> the moment.

p.s. tracker: ACTION-73

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E