Re: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart

Robert J Burns wrote:
> Are we planing to fork the named character entities in the two different
> serializations? I missed that entirely. Or Dean are you just concluding
> that because we do not plan to provide a machine readable XML
> application definition that it implies no handling of entities? To me
> those should be separate issues. Even without a machine readable
> definition (RelaxNG, DTD, etc), we should still expect XHTML5
> implementations to handle the same entity references (though necessarily
> well-formed entity references in XHTML5).

XML requires validating parsers to be used in order to use entity
references other than those 5 predefined by XML.  Without an official
DTD, no other references can be reliably used in XHTML 5.  Even if you
provide your own custom DTD and DOCTYPE, most browsers don't use
validating parsers and so won't be able to dereference the entity
references.  If you really want to use named entity references, the only
workaround is to use one of the existing XHTML or MathML DOCTYPEs that
are recognised by browsers and allow them to recognise the relevant
entities.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/