Re: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart

Hi Lachlan,

On Jul 21, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> I've already included some of that data, such as the Unicode Block
> names and categories in the HTML.  The way I envision this working
> is that we have several different types of category filters, such as:
>
> * Unicode Block
>  http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Blocks.txt
> * General Categories
>  http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UCD.html#General_Category_Values
> * The historical set groupings based on which DTD they were origianlly
>  defined in (e.g. predefined, xhtml1-lat1, html5-uppercase, etc.).
>  While these aren't entirely relevant to HTML5, they may provide a
>  somewhat useful categorisation.

Another categorization that might be useful is by Unicode script
(though it may be that most named references map to characters in the
common script).

On Jul 20, 2008, at 6:35 AM, Dean Edridge wrote:
> I just wonder if you should mention that these entities are only for
> HTML5 and not XHTML5 (apart from the five predefined in XML).

Are we planing to fork the named character entities in the two
different serializations? I missed that entirely. Or Dean are you just
concluding that because we do not plan to provide a machine readable
XML application definition that it implies no handling of entities? To
me those should be separate issues. Even without a machine readable
definition (RelaxNG, DTD, etc), we should still expect XHTML5
implementations to handle the same entity references (though
necessarily well-formed entity references in XHTML5).

If the current draft actually excludes named entity references from
_X_HTML5, could you cite a paragraph for me?

Take care,
Rob