Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 06:24:30 -0700, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> On 03/07/2008, at 11:20 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 18:12:28 -0700, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
>> wrote:
>>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02.txt
>>
>> This draft suggests both
>>
>>  rel="http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/stylesheet"
>>
>> and
>>
>>  rel="stylesheet"
>>
>> should work. That seems bad as it's not backwards compatible and
>> complicates the processing model for no good reason.
>
> I think we could add advice and/or requirements to address that.

I'd suggest not to pretend that everything is a URI. HTML5 does allow URIs
(if that's a concern) as tokens as the only requirement is that a token
consists of at least one character and no whitespace characters.

>> I'm also not really convinced that an IANA registry is the way to go.
>> The WHATWG wiki (or something equivalent) seems a much more flexible
>> approach (and is in fact already in use).
>
> Is there a technical argument behind that, or is it just personal
> preference? IANA is well-recognised, has processes in place for change
> control, is accountable for availability, continuity, etc. and is backed
> by a stable financial structure. I don't see any benefit to making an
> exception for one type of registry when every other one on the Internet
> uses IANA, but maybe I'm missing something.

The reason is that it makes managing the registry less centralized. As in,
everyone can easily propose something new that is then subject to
community review on whether it will be endorsed or unendorsed. See

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/RelExtensions

for instance.

There's something similar for <meta name> extensions:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/MetaExtensions

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>