Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02

On 03/07/2008, at 11:20 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 18:12:28 -0700, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
> wrote:
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02.txt
>
> This draft suggests both
>
>  rel="http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/stylesheet"
>
> and
>
>  rel="stylesheet"
>
> should work. That seems bad as it's not backwards compatible and
> complicates the processing model for no good reason.

I think we could add advice and/or requirements to address that.

> I'm also not really convinced that an IANA registry is the way to
> go. The WHATWG wiki (or something equivalent) seems a much more
> flexible approach (and is in fact already in use).

Is there a technical argument behind that, or is it just personal
preference? IANA is well-recognised, has processes in place for change
control, is accountable for availability, continuity, etc. and is
backed by a stable financial structure. I don't see any benefit to
making an exception for one type of registry when every other one on
the Internet uses IANA, but maybe I'm missing something.