Re: 3.8.3. The nav element

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:17:06 +0100, Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hope you've enjoyed this quick look at the relationship between
> header, footer and nav. I'm keen to hear more opinions. Am I on track
> in thinking that nesting nav inside header/footer will be useful? Have
> I missed the point somewhere? Discuss.

I can see the value in having <nav> be a sectioning element with its own
subsections. e.g. on w3.org home page I would say that the whole left
sidebar is a <nav>. OTOH I have also seen pages that use navigation in
headers and footers, so I would expect authors to be surprised when their
effort to convert their <div> soup to HTML5. Hence, I agree that <nav>
should be allowed to be nested in <header> and <footer> (but then have
transparent content model).

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software