Re: [whatwg] WF2 - <form action="">

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:18:40 -0600
To: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>

Laurens Holst wrote:
> So, when resolving these two URIs:
>
> "" -> "http://a/b/c/d;p?q"
> "#newfrag" -> "http://a/b/c/d;p?q#newfrag"
>
> These are indeed the resolved URIs. However, when dereferencing them, it
> is still a same-document reference, because the base URI is identical to
> the resolved URI (minus the fragment).

Which means, of course, that just having a URI is no longer enough to know what
to do.  You have to know exactly where the URI came from.  For example, if all
you know is that the user clicked on a link, and what the resolved URI of the
link was, you have no idea what you should actually be doing with it: scrolling
the existing page or loading a new one.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess.

> So there is one more ‘but’: one could argue that if the final URI for a
> GET submission matches the base URI exactly, no submission has to be
> done because that document is already loaded. I’m not sure whether any
> browser currently implements this, nor whether it is sensible.

"No" and "it would break sites", in that order, I suspect.

-Boris