Re: New Input type proposal

On 11 Jan 2008, at 09:32, Preston L. Bannister wrote:

> Folks, you are re-inventing the wheel, and repeating classic mistakes.

The problem is all existing solutions have minor issues, see below:

> There is a lack. It is (or should be) possible to do secure logins
> across
> unencrypted channels. What is needed is access to an encryption
> library from
> Javascript. That would be outside to scope of the HTML specification.

ECMAScript cannot be the solution, for what is the purpose of
encrypting data from some UAs (those that support ECMAScript) and not
from those that don't? It creates additional complexity on the server
having to determine whether a field is encrypted or not (though, with
BC concerns, this would need to be done anyway). If we want to encrypt
data, it should be from all HTML 5 UAs, and not just the subset
thereof that support ECMAScript.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>