Re: Underline element.

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:08:19 +0000
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2007, at 7:37 AM, Philip Taylor wrote:
>> http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/survey/2007-07-17/analyse.cgi/tag/u
>> (plus obvious URIs for other tags) has data about some collection of
>> 7739 pages:
>>  <u>: 628 (8% of pages)
>
> Do you have counts of how many times each element is used? (I assume
> what you gave above is number of pages that use particular elements at
> least once).

The quoted link gives both "total number of occurrences [of the start
tag]" and "total number of pages [with at least one occurrence of the
start tag]", so you can find the counts from there.

But the total number of occurrences is generally a useless measure -
3965 of the 7156 <u> occurrences were on a single page, so random chance
(like not looking at that particular page, or looking at it after it was
fixed) can easily affect the total count by 50% or more.

It ought to be possible to present the per-page occurrence counts in a
more useful way so the patterns don't get hidden by a few crazy pages,
probably as a histogram or something (or does anyone have a better
idea?), but I haven't done anything like that yet.

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk