Re: metadata content

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > But that's a central registry.
> >
> > There's no burden to the registration (it's just a wiki), so that seems like
> > an unimportant concern. People can also use URI-like names, or Java-like
> > identifiers, to avoid clashes in general, which again makes this a
> > non-issue.
>
> But there's also no burden to other people messing with existing
> entries. Some people consider this a problem.

Wikis have full history, if someone vandalises the page, just fix it. It's
not difficult. :-)

> URIs as identifiers (when chosen properly) already avoid name clashes; I
> don't see why it would make sense to register them in a central place.

The registration is not intended to avoid name clashes, doing that is
easy. The registration is meant to provide a way for people to find out
what values mean, so that they can interoperate.

> > > Yes, I know you consider this a feature, but there are lots of
> > > people disagreeing with that.
> >
> > There's also people who agree. Disagreement is not an argument. I have
> > to pick one side when there are mutually exclusive positions. If there
> > are actual problems, please feel free to raise them.
>
> I'm not going to repeat all the discussions we already about this (at
> least not today :-).

If there are issues that have not been raised, please raise them,
otherwise they won't be considered. If there are issues that have been
raised but not yet considered, then (assuming they are in Bugzilla, or if
I have noticed them and saved them to one of my folders) they will be
dealt with in due course. If there are issues that have been raised and
dealt with and you just didn't like the conclusion, then please raise this
with the chairs, so that we can follow the proper W3C escalation process.
However, in the latter case, unless I made some gross error or was biased
in some way, which I try hard to avoid, I don't really see what the
process is going to do differently unless we end up with working group
decisions that are technically unsound.