Re: less than normal importance/emphasis

With regards to <insert> or <aside> I agree with Ian. It seems that we
are trying to replace punctuation with markup which is dangerous, since
a lot of people generally do not know how to use punctuation correctly
and I would imagine that punctuation is used (or not used) in different
ways in different languages around the world. I think it would be
dangerous to assume that the way things are done in English are mirrored
in other languages.

With regards to "lowering importance" via a <deemph> or similar tag.
Anything that needs neutral emphasis should simply not be marked up.
Cascading <deemphs> inside <em>s or other elements could lead to very
confusing semantics.

I don't really understand where there would be a situation where you
would want to use this. If something is to be de-emphasised in the
middle of some normal text, then it is either not relevant to the
content as a whole or should be placed in a footnote, sidenote or
similar. I think this is a matter of how the content is generated and
markup should not bend to make up rules for unrelated or poorly
constructed content.