Re: About video & audio elements

Le 29 août 08 à 16:46, Maurice a écrit :

> um... uh.... how about... the user agent (when there's an api for
> this stuff) indicates that the video tag has multiple "subs" and
> presents a way for the user to choose one. It probably also presents
> a convenient 1 click "download this file" which would save both the
> video and subtitle file simultaneously

Why not, but I think browser's vendor will hate you ;)
If I follow you the same dialog box will be poped if the user want to
save a video with separates audio files (the audio synced to video
you've talked about) ?

>> I think examining the media files will cause too much problems :
>>
>> - Making an algorithm to parse the media header to retrieve the
>> metadata (depending on the codec used the header can have a
>> variable size — just presuming)
>> - For the media provider it will consume some brandwith which is
>> the most expensive charge (at this moment)
>> - I think parsing a media file cost more computer resources than
>> parsing an HTML document
>> - Need a soft to edit the data (OK, you definetly need a soft to
>> encode... But if you made a mistake editing some HTML attributes/
>> elements is lighter than opening the media in a soft, editing it
>> and uploading it again)
>
> You've completely lost me there.
> Like I was saying. There are _server side_ libraries for php (and
> other languages) that can pull all the data you'd want to know about
> a multimedia file. I just scan the files when the user uploads them
> and save the most important info to a database (codec, length, etc)
> Since I already have this data I figured it would be easy to put it
> on the page with some sort of microformat or dedicated media meta
> data tags.

Oups sorry... My mistake, I failed when selecting which answer I
wanted to quote. I was answering to Henri :

--
Nicolas LE GALL
http://blog.neovov.com