Re: Validating XHTML5 with XML entities

Lachlan Hunt wrote on 08/27/2008 10:41:55 PM:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
> > It occurs to me that if somebody were to do the work of producing a
full
> > DTD for XHTML5, such work could be considered by this workgroup either
> > be included in the HTML 5 standard, or as a standalone document.
>
> Anyone is free to write a DTD, or any other schema, for (X)HTML 5.  One
> was begun a long time ago, but was abandoned [1], and there's one for
> RNG too [2].  However, there should be no official DTD any other
> official schema for HTML5.

"should" and "official" are something that we could debate.  Luckily, the
issue is largely moot as I doubt that anybody has the interest and
wherewithal to produce and actively maintain such a DTD.  But if such were
to materialize, I could see the W3C publishing such as a an document, even
if the WHATWG were to decline to do so.

> [1] http://syntax.whatwg.org/
> [2] http://syntax.whattf.org/
>
> --