Re: Acessibility of <audio> and <video>

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) 2008-08-25 21.07:

> Dave Singer wrote:
>
>> Note that the current design does allow for fall-back content.
>

> Yes, but according to Anne v. K., that (in the current editor's
> draft of the specification), fallback can be reached only if
> the browser itself does not support <video> (or <audio>),

Actually, I would correct Dave: While <video>/<audio> supports
some kind of fallback, the draft says that this isn't its purpose:

	" it is intended for older Web browsers which do not support
video, so that legacy video plugins can be tried, or to show text
to the users of these older browser informing them of how to
access the video contents. Note: In particular, this content is
not fallback content intended to address accessibility concerns." [1]

So, it is more to be compared with the <noframes> element, which
HTML 4 intended for giving links to the different frames
(allthough it more commonly is used to say "sorry, but your
browser doesn't support frames".)

[1]
http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html
--