From: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
To: "David Poehlman" <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Cc: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>; "Anne van Kesteren"
<annevk@opera.com>; "James Graham" <jg307@cam.ac.uk>; "Steven Faulkner"
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com>; "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>; "W3C WAI-XTECH"
<wai-xtech@w3.org>; <public-html@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: Flickr and alt

On Aug 20, 2008, at 4:48 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

> just as public internet facilities are responsible for porn, they ar
> also
> responsible for accessibility.

In general, an internet service with "common carrier" status is not
legally responsible for any porn transmitted over the system.

> At the least, this means tht the means to
> provide for accessibility should be provided and stamps put in if not
> followed with the author's name and email address.  If I could get the
> author's email address, I'd be sending questions about images I
> could not
> get info on.

That does not line up with the rules we have in the non-Internet
world, as I described. Providing a public forum (like a public
bulletin board, park or concert hall) gives you no responsibility to
force content providers to make their content accessible, or to
identify them for the purpose of complaints. That is what society has
so far decided is the proper balance of rights and responsibilities.

Regards,
Maciej