Re: Deliverable for Action 72 @headers

Laura Carlson wrote:
> The headers/id markup is functional and works today. Results of some
> recent testing:
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/TableHeadersTestingBug5822

It seems to me that this testcase is wrong in that the contents of columns 1 and
8, and of row 2, should be marked as headers not as data cells. This change
would appear to be needed for the table to be consistent with the current spec,
which says that <th> represents a header cell; the expected results of your test
clearly depend on these cells being treated as header cells by UAs.

It is possible that with this change the table would still not be processed in
the way that you would like e.g. "Running Cost" would not be a header for
"12/12/2005". This could be fixed in the association algorithm e.g. by saying
that scope="col" made the header apply to all cells rather than just data cells.
We would need to re-examine the reason for the current behavior being chosen to
see if this case was an oversight or if there is a good reason the current spec.