Re: Flickr and alt

On Aug 19, 2008, at 17:53, Sam Kuper wrote:

> I think it's important to distinguish between compliance in an
> authoring tool and compliance in output.
>
> In the above case, Flickr (and any other AT) would be a compliant
> authoring tool if it:
> 	• checked the output for validity,
> 	• notified any authors creating invalid output of the fact, and
> explained the kind of invalidity and why (in layman's terms, but
> with links to technical documents) it is considered problematic,
> 	• provided reminders of the invalidity on each occasion an invalid
> document was re-edited.
> As for the output, it would still not be valid HTML unless, well, it
> was valid HTML.

Quoting self from http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0355.html
:

The notion that a syntax specification should require software
conforming to the specification to produce syntactically non-
conforming output under some circumstances is patently bizarre. We
shouldn't require something that is bizarre in a way that it doesn't
fit the software developer mindset, because then we don't get the
reactions we want from software developers.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi