Re: alt attribute - a very simple proposal

Karl Dubost writes:

> The [HTML 5 Working Draft, June 2008 ][1] is describing at length the
> [alt attribute][2].  Many interesting use cases are described but I
> fear the list could go and go on.
>
> 1. I would just keep alt attribute requirements to the functional
> requirements, such as if images are not loaded the content of the alt
> attribute must be displayed.
> 2. The specific requirements on accessibility such as  the content of
> the alt attribute depending on the use cases should be entirely left
> to WCAG.
>
> The specification would then be lighter, could have a pointer saying
> all the requirements for accessibility are defined in wcag 2.0.

I believe that early in the life of this working group it was decreed
that "accessibility" is to be interpreted narrowly, as "accessibility
for those with disabilities".  For "accessibility for all" the term
"universality" was coined; this includes catering for those without
disabilities but who use Lynx or have low bandwidth or whatever.

Clearly there are situations in which the alt attribute is useful other
than helping those with disabilities.  So it would be odd to delegate
custodian of this attribute to a working group which is only focused on
one set of users.

Smylers