Re: Flickr and alt

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:25:11 +0200, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)
<P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>  [...]I was trying to point out that Flickr cannot start requiring
>> users to <perform some task> as that will simply kill their business.
>
> Exactly the same argument was adduced about requiring
> public houses to require their customers to either
> refrain from smoking completely, or to smoke outside.
>
> The pubs /didn't/ go out of business, and most of their
> customers came to accept that -- by following the rules --
> they were improving the environment for everybody.

Not smoking or smoking outside is a requirement that is easily met. Adding
useful alternate text to the ~300 images you upload a couple of times a
year is not. (The requirement not being easily met was the core point of
my argument, but you forgot to quote it.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>