RE: Translation control in HTML5

Process note: Please could you copy www-international on threads that are so clearly i18n-related (and keep them copied).  Otherwise you are likely to miss valuable contributions from folks who have a lot of experience in the things you are discussing.

For the benefit of the www-international folks, the HTML5 WG has been discussing how to indicate that text should or should not be translated, eg. so that automatic translation tools like Google has can do a better job.  See a summary of the early part of the thread at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Aug/0069.html.

Actually not.  The ITS spec is expressed in terms of concepts, that can also be applied to HTML.

I also would like to strongly discourage the overloading of the lang attribute (and please especially avoid messing with xml:lang in XHTML5).  It also doesn't lend itself to specification of global rules or labeling attribute text, see below.

The ITS WG was chartered to meet pressing real world requirements - there is a substantial industry out there that struggles at the moment to translate or localize large quantities of material.  The translation scenario that introduced this thread is only the tip of the iceberg (though a very useful thing to discuss in its own right).

I think the accessibility folks have already raised requests for markup support for their community.  The ITS spec has done similar work in exploring and reporting requirements for enabling international deployment and localization of markup.   They don't require specific markup implementations, though of course a huge amount of discussion and work went into the formulation of the conceptual framework that should lead to a successful markup implementation. (I would recommend not reinventing the wheel there.)

ITS provides a proposal for achieving this, and the ITS folks have taken the time to think through most of the issues associated with such an approach.

The ITS approach uses XPath for identification of the target fragments in a document, because is it very powerful as a selection tool.  I don't think HTML would *have* to use XPath, as long as there was a way to suitably select target fragments.  Note, however, that it may also be that most authors would use very simple constructs in XPath anyway.  For example, to prevent translation of all <code> elements, you'd say <translateRule selector="//code" translate="no"/>

The thing is, though, that you'd also need a way of overriding the global rules occasionally.  That's where a @translate attribute would come in. It can be attached to any <code> or other element (including a parent) to say *do* translate this one, or *don't* translate that one.

Note also that global rules can be used to indicate whether *attributes* should be translated or not, eg. title and alt, independently of the element content. Doing that by using lang values is particularly cumbersome for an author.

Note also that the ITS folks are having success in persuading localization tool developers and people working with major document formats to adopt approaches based on ITS.  It will be a big help to them if HTML's approach fits with that work.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)