Re: HTML5 object element - classid or not classid?

Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:
> Well, this is not really a historical question, because HTML4.01,
> XHTML1.0 and XHTML1.1 are the current recommendations for
> HTML and HTML5 is still an early draft

 From an implementor's perspective, HTML5 is already far more
implementable than the other specs you mention.

> there should be enough
> time, maybe several years for implementors to implement more
> features from HTML4.01 as they currently have

Given the underspecified nature of said features in HTML4.01, this would
be a waste of time and actually create more problems than it solves,
since the implementations would not be interoperable.

> a question at least for several content authors why this is not even
> implemented in current state of the art and commonly used
> browsers,

Honestly?  Because given what we know about writing specifications now,
HTML 4.01 is a terrible "specification" (if it can even be called such,
since it actually doesn't specify very much).  It has a lot of
kitchen-sink stuff in it, badly thought out and poorly defined.  It's a
bad investment of development time to implement parts of it that aren't
already widely implemented.

-Boris