Re: question about the draft:

Hi David,

The problem you encounter here (with the word "this" means to convey
"red text with a red border" and the absence of any equivalent CSS
speech properties) is the key use case that my earlier proposal[1]
(much disparaged and little understood[2]) was meant to address.

Consider that if the author of the HTML5 draft can neglect to add
suitable media independent markup and CSS, then it is probably a
fairly common occurrence. We can try to address that by raising
awareness, but I think even with 100% awareness, authors and users
would still benefit from a media independent solution that adheres to
the separation of semantics and style such as what I proposed in the
semantic-presentation legend[1].

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/SemanticPresentationLegendCSS>