Re: Translation control in HTML5

Le 3 août 2008 à 22:25, James Graham a écrit :
> I'm curious to know if these automatic translation services have
> tried the obvious candidate elements for non-translation already
> <samp>, and anything with an (xml:)lang attribute not matching the
> user-selected language to translate from)?

Indeed.

I don't know any W3C Note or W3C Specs recommending implementation
strategies for automatic translations. I think it would be very
useful. Maybe that should be done in coordination with
internationalization group AND [implementers of translation][1]
services such as

* Japanese-English by Excite Powered by Accela BizLingo [2]
   http://excite.co.jp/world/
   http://www.accelatech.com/products/BL/
* Yahoo! Babelfish  Powered by Systran
   http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
* Windows Live Translator
   http://www.windowslivetranslator.com/Default.aspx
* Google Translate
   http://www.google.com/translate_t

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Machine_translation_applications
[2]: Another interesting case where Accela BizLingo is not mentionned
in the reference [1]
  because being Japanese?

PS: for fun, And issues with translation, 恵比寿 (Ebisu) is the name
of a place in Tokyo. It happened to be also a god in Japanese
tradition. An automatic translator gave me as an answer:

 Head office address
 Tokyo Shibuya Ku the god of wealth

When the correct automatic translation would have been

 Head office address
 Tokyo, Shibuya district, Ebisu

It is not specifically a translate="no". :)

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/