Re: Markup for names

Ian Hickson a écrit :
>> Sorry, I need to correct myself regarding the above. Punctuations, which
>> includes underlines, only came into being during the Chinese cultural
>> revolution around 1919. Before this there were no punctuations in
>> Chinese literature. So the Chinese got by for thousands of years without
>> any form of underline, period, comma, brackets etc. Punctuation is a
>> western influence. And in recent years underlining people's names have
>> become less and less a norm, though still understood when it happens and
>> usually often used to zero out ambiguity if the person's name is odd or
>> uncommon.
>
> So the question is, is it worth adding a <name> element for this use case?
> (Maybe, given that the target audience would be primarily chinese and
> japanese, we should use a chinese or japanese word for the element name?
> Or maybe the <u> element should be repurposed for names?)

I've never seen such case in Japanese. Since we use three scripts
(kanji, katakana, and hiragana) in writing but names are usually written
in kanji, and names are typically with titles, it is rare that we cannot
distinguish names and non-names.

--
矢倉 眞隆 (Yakura, Masataka)
<yakura-masataka@mitsue.co.jp>