Re: HTML 5 and Distributed Extensibility

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:31:17 +0200, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
> In a world where one can attach style and behavior to content via
> XBL, it becomes fairly easy for sites across the Web to simplify
> their markup by introducing small, tightly focused specialized
> vocabularies

I don't believe RDFa really helps with this though. As it is based on the
(horrid, imo) concept of qnames in content two equivalent (not identical)
documents can't necessarily be styled using the same binding because the
Selectors language and the DOM have no support for qnames in content.

An example where this would apply is given an attribute bar that accepts
qnames in content on element foo for markup constructs

  * <foo bar="x:x">
  * <foo bar="y:x">

where the x and y prefixes are both bound to the same namespace somewhere
higher up in the tree structure they can not be selected using Selectors
(using a single selector) or by using simple convenient methods from the
DOM. This kind of defeats using XBL for these constructs and it seems much
better to use something like

  * <x:x>
  * <y:x>

with x and y bound to the same namespace (again) as this doesn't have that
problem at all.

(I don't think this should be solved in Selectors and the DOM by the way
as it would require specific knowledge about which attributes contain
qnames et cetera. It also makes serialization from a DOM tree structure
harder and incompatible with existing practices as rewiring prefixes which
currently has no side effects in a normal XHTML document suddenly has.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>