Re: HTML 5 and Distributed Extensibility

RDF-A is most suited for capturing what I conceptually think of
as "cross-cutting" concerns ---
so:

You have a document tree --
that reflects the logic of your content; but additionally, you
need to encapsulate metadata that "cut across'that hierarchy
e.g. declare that some paragraphs are citations from elsewhere.

New elements might often fulfill that use case, but that's not
the only usecase that requires new elements.

In a world where one can attach style and behavior to content via
XBL, it becomes fairly easy for sites across the Web to simplify
their markup by introducing small, tightly focused specialized
vocabularies

--
Best Regards,
--raman