Re: Lack of sniffing of text/plain for non-binary content

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently we only sniff text/plain (in certain conditions, being there
> is no content-encoding headers and content-type is equal to one of
> "text/plain", "text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1", or "text/plain;
> charset=iso-8859-1") to see whether it is binary content or not.
> However, this poses issues for a large number of feeds that are served
> as text/plain: a notable example of this is
> <http://youtube.com/rss/global/top_favorites.rss>.

How do you distinguish between a feed that is served as text/plain
because the authors wants to have it handled as plain text, as opposed
to a mislabeled feed?

Please let's not make the content sniffing situation even worse than
what the spec says right now.

Anyway, as our spec author works for Google, and YouTube is owned by
Google, maybe this issue can be fixed easily.

Best regards, Julian